Tuesday 6 March 2012

Game 3 of the Alaris Dream 40k campaign

A 6v6 750pt each objective game sounds like a long an tortured game to fit in one evening. It was actually a quick and fun game though (we did lose a player from each side as well, probably making it a bit quicker).

The mission was our special characters had to go as fast as possible to obtain the nearest relic. On the side of not being Imperial we had: Imotekh, Typhus, Swarmlord, an Ork biker warboss that isn't Wazdakka and another chaos dude (at the other end of the table so I didn't see what character). On the Imperials side was: Saint Celestine, Straken, a SM captain, a SW dude and Draigo.

The objectives were relics hidden in temples in a cave. (6 relics along the centre line of a 12'x4' table). Because we were in an enormous cavern the night fight rules were in play but I managed to negate it for a turn with a solar flare. Vehicles had to be kept in reserve and rolled a dangerous terrain test to come in.

My list for the game was this:
Imotekh
Royal Court with 2x lords with warscythes and mindshackle scarabs, one with res orb, 3x crypteks, one with chronometron, one with veil of darkness and one with gaze of flame and Solar pulse.
20x warriors
4x destroyers

I deployed opposite a guard infantry player with Straken. We had an objective in a building smack bang between us.

Through crazy pregame tactics, myself and the Straken guard player both had an ambush to use against each other. I went first and rapid fired a 20 man warrior squad into Straken's command squad. Normally I'd expect a crap-ton of gauss shots to be able to kill 5 guardsmen. 40k doesn't always follow laws of probability (or sanity) and I only killed 3 men. Straken and his guardsman returned fire and didn't do anything.
He then used his ambush to rapid fire a plasma gun veteran squad at my 4 destroyers. My destroyers were promptly wiped out before the game had even started. This meant a 3rd of my force didn't even start the game :( and royally messed up the solar flare tactic I had in mind (i.e. splatting the nearby sisters of battle with AP3 shots).

Once the game had actually begun to begin the enemy stole the initiative, ruining the next phase of my plans.

To my left was the Swarmlord, to my right was some infiltrated chaos marines and beyond them was a host of nurgle and orks. Sisters advanced on the Tyranids, the guard advanced on me and other forces advanced further up the battlefield.
Due to the night-fighting being in place I managed to avoid being shot by the 50 or so guardsmen coming towards me. Saint Celestine took a relic in the first turn.

In our half of the first turn we advanced ourselves. Imotekh unleashed his lightning bolts on the enemy and again my luck wasn't even close to normal probability, using the lightning against 3,750 points of Imperialists killed just one space wolf and fizzled out after that doing nothing more for the rest of the game. My warriors killed a few stormtroopers and my court zapped a penitent out of existence with their first shot of the game (hehe). I'd also popped the solar pulse but it didn't really get used as pretty much all of our forces were close range shooting, rapid fire 24".

From that point on it looked like it was over for me, the guard advanced and annihilated my warriors in combat, I failed my Ld check from loosing combat by 2 :( and got overrun. This left me with just Imotekh and his court. Inspired by pure insanity and obsession with the objective Imotekh left his group of advisers and body guards. He ran for the relic and sent his squad against the interfering Straken. He took the relic and the court killed a squad of stormtroopers and Strakens remaining guardsman (yay for evil AP1 flamer weapons). The court then charged Straken and made him punch himself in the face due to mindshackle scarabs but he passed his invulnerable, he didn't pass the saves from the warscythes though. Thus Straken was permanently removed from the campaign. My court promptly ripped through the rest of the guardsmen with the help of some chaos marines.
Imotekh has achieved his goal and then managed to avoid the enemy long enough to escape with his prize.

To my left the Swarmlord had beaten down the living saint 3 times but she still refused the give up. The Emperor wouldn't let her rest. An entire army of white-ish marines (you'd understand if you were there) outflanked to assist the saint but ultimately failed and the Swarmlord stole the relic from the Saint.

Further afield, both the Chaos lords took 2 relics each. The Ork warboss died in a heroic battle with a horde of ork boys swarming and killing Draigo and his paladins. The forces of Nurgle beat down the Space Puppies.

So in the end the bad guys held all the relics. The Imperials lost Straken and Draigo but Celestine lived. The bad guys only lost the Ork Warboss Watzhiznaym.

A victory for us but we have no idea what future there is as our force is only a loose alliance of convenience. Who knows what the purpose of the relics is or how the campaign will unfold?

No comments:

Post a Comment